At the very center of Christianity, indeed, at the very center of world history, stands the cross of Jesus. Unfortunately, the forces and factors of Western culture, especially those related to Christianity’s collusion with political power and ideologies, have caused us to misunderstand and misapply the true revolutionary character of the cross. As a result, Christian theology and the witness of the Church have been severely impaired.
In their most recent publications, N.T. Wright (The Day the Revolution Began: Reconsidering the Meaning of Jesus’s Crucifixion) and Greg Boyd (The Crucifixion of the Warrior God), address this head on.
On Friday April 28, during our 3rd North American Gathering, Awakenings: The Mission of the Spirit as the Life of the Church, we will host a public conversation between Wright and Boyd on this important topic.
As a preview to this exciting gathering, we are pleased to host this live webinar with N.T. Wright, Greg Boyd, and one of our Leading Voices, Dennis Edwards.
Here’s a few questions that Missio Alliance readers submitted that will be discussed:
- Did God always know that Jesus would have to be crucified?
- What are the “powers and authorities” that the crucifixion confronted and disarmed?
- Why do we use the term “he paid” to explain what Jesus did on the Cross?
- How does the violence of the Cross fit with Jesus’s message of peace?
- How do we share the good news of God’s kingdom in light of the Cross?
…and as many more as we can get to!