How does a local church discern through disagreements? How do we decided what “issues” are essential?
Here are the steps proposed in this episode, following the apostles work in Acts 15
1) The apostles and elders (leaders) met to consider the question (v6)
2) They observed what the Holy Spirit was doing (v8-9, 12)
3) A whole community listened and discerned (v12) They wokred with the leaders (v22). There was mutality of listening, consensus, etc.
4) Scripture was carefully considered…drawing its past meaning into the present (v15-19)
5) They wrote down their discernment in a letter “it seems good to the Holy Spirit and to us….” (v26)